Christopher O'Neill wrote:
> . I notice certain other popular distros are now running GCC4 (and
> have been for some time), yet we are still running 3.4.6 (on ~x86). I
> know it's a lot of work ensuring that all packages compile properly
> with GCC4 and that there are no introduced bugs, but I have no idea
> how we are progressing on this - and wouldn't even like to ask for
> fear of asking in the wrong place..

Toolchain updates in particular take longer than with most distros,
because of the nature of ours -- we need every user to be able to
compile every keyworded package from source, and we have an extremely
large package database.

I bet there's a bug open for it.

> . How's portage 2.1 getting along? I notice it gets frequent updates.

The gentoo-portage-dev list is the place to follow this.

> I am not asking for answers for those questions, they are merely
> examples (I could think of many more, so please don't single these
> out).  The point I am making is how we (the users) are in the dark on
> how Gentoo is progressing. This is the main reason I have subscribed
> to this mailing list (as well as Gentoo-Users) in an attempt to keep
> track of what's happening, but without much success).

The general case of the above is that if you want information, you need
to find the right spot for it. That's generally either a specific
relevant list or Bugzilla. The information doesn't come looking for you.

HTH,
Donnie