On Fri, 5 May 2006 13:20:09 +0200
Carsten Lohrke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 05 May 2006 08:32, Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo) wrote:
> > If you use specific versions in the package.keywords file (i.e. do
> > "=category/package-version-revision ~arch" instead of
> > "category/package ~arch", this doesn't happen.
>
> Hardcoding specific ~arch versions or revisions unless absolutely
> needed is a bad idea. Remember that we don't do GLSA's for testing
> stuff. If bleeding edge, then bleeding edge.

I disagree.  Your argument is for not using ~arch at all, rather
than an argument against keeping control of what you have from ~arch.

If I want something from ~arch, it's for one of two reasons:
1) There's a feature/fix that I need now
2) I want to try out a new version of something for fun

I certainly don't want to take everything from ~arch; that way leads to
regular system instability.

In practice, I tend to do:

=category/package-version* ~arch

so that I pick up -rN bumps on unstable versions as this should mean
that the maintainer considers the change necessary for users of that
version.

--
Kevin F. Quinn