On Friday 05 May 2006 20:37, Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo) wrote:
> First, I'll get the security updates when (1) the relevant updated
> package goes stable, which is usually pretty quickly, or (2)
> notification is made in gentoo-announce (which must be the correct
> place to get such notifications).

That they go stable quickly is a bet and not always true. When there never was
an stable ebuild, there won't be an announcement.

> Secondly, "Up-to-date on GLSAs" != "safe".  Not by a long shot.
> Further, missing GLSAs does not necessarily mean I'm vulnerable.
> That's what the detail is for in the GLSAs; so I can make a judgement
> call on whether I need to worry about a vulnerability or not.

It's a difference, if you can trust on a security team taking care or if you
have to do it all yourself. That there will never be 100% perfect security is
a different topic.

> Lastly, if there are versions of a package in ~arch that have known
> security flaws, my understanding is that they either get patched with a
> -rN bump, or they get removed from the tree in favour of a later
> version that is not vulnerable.  Either way, I get notification when I
> next do an update.

That previous ebuilds get removed is another bet, I wouldn't make. You
claim "Up-to-date on GLSAs" != "safe" (which isn't wrong of course), but base
your dealing with possible vulnerabilities on assumptions. That doesn't
match.

Carsten