Just two points:

- standards should not be set by the primary package manager
- the primary package manager does not have to be developed by Gentoo.

More about it below:

maillog: 20/05/2006-14:54:18(+0200): Paul de Vrieze types
> The primary package  manager is the package manager that  sets the
> standards for the  tree.  All  ebuilds  in the  tree  must function
> with  the primary  package manager.  As  the primary package manager
> sets  the standard it does  not have to maintain compatibility with
> other package managers.

I pesonally hate the way this sounds. It implies that the package
manager comes before the standards while it should be the other way
around. Plus, it would not solve the main problem -- that there are no
set standards for the tree. You accept the GLEP like this and there will
continue to be no standards.

The process should go like this:

1. Standars are set (by the council or whatever).
2. They are implemented in the official package manager.
3. Other package managers follow suit.

Take the application servers as a good example. You have Java Servlet
Technology, and JavaServer Pages Technology. So far, so good. These are
developed by Sun. And you also have Apache Tomcat which is the official
reference implementation.  So you have the standards set by Sun, and you
have an open community implementing them in the "official" container
*later*. And pay attention that these are not maintained by the same
organization.

And what about the web. You have the W3C that sets the standards for web
pages. And you have no single browser to implement them all. So, in
order for a package manager to be recognized by Gentoo it should not
implement *all* standards. I.e. if you have news delivered with the
tree, you could support a package manager that cannot read the news as
primary.  After all this is not a major feature and does not contradict
"All ebuilds should work with the primary package manager". And you can
have a separate news reader the cooperates with the primary package
manager or not.

--
\    Georgi Georgiev   \  Ignorance is when you don't know anything  \
/     [EMAIL PROTECTED]    /  and somebody finds it out.                 /