On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 19:48 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Friday 02 June 2006 18:47, Marius Mauch wrote:
> > Actually this is probably the main problem of all the "package manager
> > compability" gleps: We don't have a proper specification, all existing
> > docs more or less are based on the existing portage implementation. So
> > right now the implementation is the authorative specification, which of
> > course creates some problems.
> > IMO before any such glep can be considered we need a proper
> > specification about our package and repository formats, otherwise you
> > can't really validate any package manager (the statespace is a bit
> > large for equivalence checks).
>
> The problem is actually that such a document is a living thing and it must
> not
> only exist initially but be maintained continuously.

Yes and no.  EAPI=0 is somewhat nailed down.  We could nail it down
further.  Any future EAPI versions could easily be written as just the
differences from the previous EAPI.

fex. EAPI=1 (or whatever) could be something like: all of EAPI=0 +
multiple repositories (and a definition of requirements), USE-based
dependencies (and a definition of requirements/etc), and per-package
use.mask (including all the necessary information.

Honestly, it is really bad that we do *not* have a listing of what is
and what is not allowed in ebuilds.  We have lots of different places
where such things exist, but no one clear definition.  We really need a
single, concise definition of what exactly *is* an ebuild before trying
to proceed further.

Things to consider:

- required variables (SRC_URI, DESCRIPTION, HOMEPAGE)
- disallowed variables (P, T, PN)
- valid non-function abilities (inherit is all that comes to mind)
- description of default functions (as in what they are, not so much
what they do in detail)

I'm sure there's *tons* and *tons* more stuff, but this is a start.  We
do have quite a bit of this in the ebuild man page, os it isn't like
we'd have to start from scratch.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead