Mike Frysinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Sat, 17 Jun
2006 03:30:29 -0400:

>> > What is the proper quoting style for defining the S variable? In the
>> > tree there are about 3 different styles...
>> >
>> >    S=${WORKDIR}/${MY_P}    # used by 5270 ebuilds
>> >    S="${WORKDIR}"/${MY_P}  # used by 43 ebuilds
>> >    S="${WORKDIR}/${MY_P}"  # used by 2259 ebuilds
>>
>> ditto
>
> not really ... all three will work fine, but i prefer the first myself as the
> quoting is not needed here

What if someone has PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp/portage temporary workspace" or
"/var/tmp/\$whatever" or some such (yes I know that's crazy, but...)?  I'd
agree with the ditto, not with the all three will work fine.