On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 20:15 -0600, Nick Devito wrote:
> Generating root filesystems for UML and Xen are basically the same
> process. I've heard of domi, but, bleh, I never could get it to work. I
> usually just make my images in chroot, and that usually works well. But,
> since the images are *basically* the same, that means it would be
> possible to use the jailtime images, unless you are running on a 64-bit
> arch. Then, in that case, least with gentoo, running a 64-bit kernel and
> 32-bit userland doesn't work for long (first glibc (re)compile, and the
> whole thing borks out).

I'm on amd64, as my primary arch.  I generally use a chroot, as well,
and have knocked up some scripts to help me, but a well-designed package
to do it would be very helpful.  Maybe I'll write one...

Several patches just went into -mm to make UML work well as a 32-bit
process on 64-bit arches, which would make the root image a pure 32-bit
image.

Daniel