On Friday 07 July 2006 02:01, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Using a proper profile and not hardwire useflags to use amd64 is a
> solution too.
Yes it is, I would more likely see that than adding even more useflags to
profiles.

> > So using -march=i586 with mmx useflag wouldn't work anymore.
> ...I don't see why not since gas is supposed to accepth -m* flags
> related  (see man as)
Uh, -march=i586 will tell gas to accept only instructions present on i586,
even if they come out of inline asm.
If the inline asm is MMX, gas refuses to produce code.

It would only work with nasm sources.

> but isn't the only way and as I told you already I'd rather have stuff
> properly set in profiles specific even if I like the idea of being able
> to check for compiler support.
Yes, you told me, and this is why we're not here discussing that. I told you
want I think of the idea, I don't dislike it although I find it (thinking as
it is now) a bit more complex.
I'm waiting to see a sample implementation tho, as that is what we should base
on.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE