Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:36:32 -0500 Mike Doty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| Chris Gianelloni wrote:
| [snip]
| > This means it is now 36 profiles to support, if we dropped support
| > on all profiles except for the new ones.  Without having any sort of
| > multiple inheritance available, this is really unmanageable.
| | This is exactly the same reason why amd64 won't move to a per CPU | subprofile. it might be a good idea for ppc, but not for us.

I believe all discussion on CPU subprofiles has started with "if we had
multiple profile support then". Would the situation be any different if
it were just a case of telling Portage to use
base/default-linux/x86/2008.1 + extras/x86/cpu/pentium4?

that would make it feasible, still not convinced it's the right way to go...