On Thu, 2006-06-07 at 13:49 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 14:29:39 +0200 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | On Thursday 06 July 2006 14:19, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> | > Sounds rather flaky and unreliable...
> | Sounds rather vague and without arguments.
>
> Well, you're assuming that
> a) everyone's using a C compiler,

If you're on Gentoo, I sure hope you have a C compiler

> b) that gcc has the slightest clue what it's doing,

Again, if you've compiled your whole system with gcc, I guess its a safe
bet

> c) that the user has no problem using nasty hacks to regain control,

Since when is setting your -march/-mnosse/-mnommx/-mno3dnow a nasty
hack?

> d) that this information is only needed at compile time,

I agree this is a problem..

> e) that various gcc internal definitions won't change...

We can always change the eclass and check the GCC version if that
happens.

--
Olivier Crête
[EMAIL PROTECTED]