* Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> W.Kenworthy wrote:
> >My personal opinion is that whilst things like modular X are good for
> >developers, they are not so good for users - particularly gentoo users.
>
> Definitely not true. The X.Org 7.1 release shared the vast majority of
> packages with 7.0, so there were very few upgrades -- just a few drivers
> and the server. In the monolithic world, you would've needed to rebuild
> the whole thing for that. Installing it is a one-time cost, upgrading
> goes on forever. And the security updates that already occurred proved
> modularization well worth the effort -- often, just a single package
> (the server) needed an update.

ACK. It's not only an big improvement to maintenability, also
stops wasting resources.

For example: I've got several headless server systems where I now
have to run some X applications. I only need xlib (and its deps)
on this system, not the whole X distribution. In a monolithic
world, I would have to install *everything*, from server to tools,
just for getting some libs.

The modularization is an *huge* improvement. Installations get
smaller and faster and development is much easier.

cu