On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 04:56:18 +0000 (UTC)
"Duncan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Even back before it became the "in" thing, I was posting emerge
> --info as attachments, because it simply fit the bill -- bugzy /says/
> to put long stuff as attachments.  I never did quite understand why
> all that admittedly often useful high-volume spew was tolerated in
> the bug comments themselves.

Personally I find it a lot easier to read a bug when the emerge --info
data from people is inline.  Frequently, the trigger for a bug becomes
apparent when you compare the emerge --info of the various people who
see a bug, and it's a moment's effort to scroll up and down the bug to
compare data.  This process takes longer if the info is in a bunch of
attachments.

[re. posting AT configs somewhere]
> I like the idea above, tho.  For ATs especially, having some place
> where emerge --info could be posted just once, with a link to it
> instead of the duplicated inline /or/ attachment, makes even more
> sense.  Presumably, where it's posted could have dated versions, too,
> allowing for updated flags without invalidating the info pointed to
> for older links.  If variation off the norm was needed or used for an
> individual package, that could be noted in the comments along with
> the link to the standard info.

I think the info changes frequently enough that it's easier, and more
likely to be correct, if it's posted to the bug at the time the report
is made.

--
Kevin F. Quinn