There have been a number of developers leaving Gentoo in the past 6
months as well as a number of news stories on DistroWatch, Slashdot,
LWN, and others about Gentoo's internal problems. No one seems to have
pin pointed the problem, but it seems glaringly obvious to me. We
simply don't have enough developers to support the many projects that
we have. Here are my ideas for fixing this problem:

- Cut the number of packages in half (put the removed ebuilds in
community run overlays)

- Formal approval process (or at least strict criteria) for adding
new packages

- Make every dev a member of at least 1 arch team

- Double the number of developers with aggressive recruiting

- No competing projects

- New projects must have 5 devs, a formal plan, and be approved by the
council

- Devs can only belong to 5 projects at most

- Drop all arches and Gentoo/Alt projects except Linux on amd64,
ppc32/64, sparc, and x86

- Reduce the number of projects by eliminating the dead, weak,
understaffed, and unnecessary projects

- Project status reports once a month for every project