Zac Medico ha scritto:
> Petteri Räty wrote:
>> Zac Medico kirjoitti:
>>> What do people think about these two approaches?  Personally, I
>>> would prefer approach #2 for the sake of simplicity and
>>> maintainability.  The sooner that we start storing eclasses.tbz2 for
>>> each installed package, the sooner that we will be able to have more
>>> freedom with the eclasses in the live portage tree.
>> One thing that comes to mind is that how do we handle the case where the
>> old version of the eclass has a major bug in pkg_postrm for example.
>
> I suppose we could check the live tree for the required eclasses and
> use them if they are all available.  Perhaps, in that case, we
> should use the live ebuild too if it is available. In cases where
> something isn't available in the live tree we could fall back to the
> saved files as a last resort.  We'd have to maintain api
> compatibility, but at least there would still be a reasonable chance
> for the user to do a normal uninstall after some eclasses have been
> removed.
>
> Zac

could it be the other way around ? Use the saved and if it fail try to
use the current?

Reason for this is that otherwise you need to maintain in the tree code
to un-merge very old packages, needlessy bloating the current, plus
experience teach this is very error prone.

There is a problem however with this approach, you can't fix bug where
the (original ebuild) exit code is "success" but the behaviour is "damn
bugged".