On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 06:46:02 -0500
Mike Frysinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Saturday 04 November 2006 06:14, Petteri Räty wrote:
> > Zac Medico kirjoitti:
> > > What do people think about these two approaches?  Personally, I
> > > would prefer approach #2 for the sake of simplicity and
> > > maintainability.  The sooner that we start storing eclasses.tbz2
> > > for each installed package, the sooner that we will be able to
> > > have more freedom with the eclasses in the live portage tree.
> >
> > One thing that comes to mind is that how do we handle the case
> > where the old version of the eclass has a major bug in pkg_postrm
> > for example.

I think it is also possible that changes into a eclass introduce a new
unexpected bug, so this shouldn't be the only reason to stop doing this.

How about introducing a variable OBSOLETES="list of cvs revisions",
this way it can be automatically detected if the cached ebuild/eclass
can be used or if it needs to be ignored and the newer version from
portage that obsoletes it has to be used?

> that would be the only thing keeping me from saying LETS DO #2 NOW ;)

I'd vote, lets do #2 in any case.

Yuri.