Matthew Snelham wrote:

>> If you want that level of flexability then simply symlink /lib/rcscripts
>> to /var/rcscripts or where-ever you like.
>
> But then baselayout is still 'behaving badly' by sttempting to store
> dynamic state information in /lib.  Something it has not done before, to
> the best of my knowledge (with the exception of /dev state tarballs, which
> are generally acceptable, since they don't change while the system is up).
>
> UNIX filesystem usage patterns are older than a good chunk of gentoo devs,
> so in the name of defaulting to expected behaviour, I think /lib should be
> avoided.

+1

This is a very good point, why are we breaking from accepted UNIX standards
uselessly? Generally, a live system should never need to write to /lib, but a
writable /var is pretty much standard. This new behavior breaks standards, if
/var is on a separate filesystem, maybe we can use a subdir in /tmp for the init
stuff until we get /var up, then move it over.