On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 22:28:10 +0200 Petteri Räty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| Ciaran McCreesh kirjoitti:
| > On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 22:12:09 +0200 Petteri Räty
| > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > | It already works in ~arch so will hit stable too sometime in the
| > | future.
| >
| > Better to say, you might soon be able to get away with it, but don't
| > rely upon it actually working...
|
| Well one valid usage I can think of are eclass functions that are
| called are called like FOO="$(eclassfunc)".

Which is all nice and pretty, when it works, yes. But whilst my die
trick is a lot smarter than Aron's, it's still not entirely reliable.
In particular, if you do $(foo || die ; bar ), there's a race condition
which means bar might be executed anyway, and if you do enough arcane
shell voodoo then the die might still end up being lost completely (we
had this with eselect at one point...).

So basically, don't rely upon it working. It means you're much less
likely to be screwed over if you *do* accidentally do a subshell die,
but it doesn't mean that subshell die works.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail                : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
Web                 : http://ciaranm.org/