Quoting Ciaran McCreesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:02:01 +0900 Georgi Georgiev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

... nothing to add here, sounds alright ...

| Still, your point makes sense. But I hope that you will agree that
| as long as FEATURES=userpriv exists it should be enforced. If it can
| be circumvented the FEATURE may as well be removed and the whole
| problem dealt with.

No. userpriv is a nice safety feature to prevent against *accidental*
screwups, but it has absolutely no value as a security feature. There
are a small number of occasions where it really does need to be
disabled, and that option should be available for the ebuild author
without the need to worry about silly users refusing to install the
package merely because of their misunderstanding of what userpriv does.

And there are probably just as many situations when the RESTRICT is abused. I can vaguely recall only one such example: either vpopmail or courier-imap refuse to compile *not* as root which is silly.

Anyway, what is userpriv? Just a useless safety feature? Why have it at all?