Quoting Roy Marples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

FreeBSD sh + Gentoo baselayout = cold boot in around 4 seconds
Going to multi-user from single user after a boot is under 2 seconds
(times measured from when init starts rc - the difference is probably
because the all my local mounts are still mounted)

I have this running on a 2Ghz P4 Laptop right now. Admittedly, no
network scripts are started expect for the loopback interface, but all
default scripts + openvpn, ssh, dnsmasq, metalog and vixie-cron are
started.

And what are the numbers with bash? Just curious.