Jim Ramsay wrote:
> I suppose the alternative would be to split the ebuild into 'gkrellm'
> and 'gkrellmd' ebuilds, which would indeed remove the need for the
> 'built_with_use' check.  How is this normally done for other packages
> that have, for example, both a client and server part?

Well mysql uses the minimal flag to only build client part. There has been
some discussion about this, as the minimal flag is actually for:
 minimal - Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins,
fonts, most drivers, non-critical features)
and this is mis-use of the flag. When it was first discussed iirc it was
only supposed to be a temporary thing. There has seemed to be support from
devs and users for client and server flags. The following all use the
server flag locally:
dev-ruby/rubygems, dev-util/cvs, games-strategy/wesnoth, net-misc/tightvnc
net-misc/vnc, sci-astronomy/setiathome, sci-mathematics/yacas,
sci-misc/boinc, sys-cluster/torque
Hmm, I didn't know that cvs needed the server flag :D
As a user I think the flags make sense as global options; although only
net-misc/bird uses client atm, the distinction would make sense for eg
mySQL, LDAP, samba and a whole host of pkgs.

I don't know how it would work technically, how difficult it would be, or
indeed if anyone is prepared to do the work, besides maybe some of the
users.