I joined this list mostly to talk about the proposed code of conduct. Let me state the context up front:

1. Some of you know I am a loyal Gentoo user. I run three "testing-level" (pure ~x86 with an occasional local package mask when something croaks) systems, I beta-test stuff I'm interested in, etc. I'd volunteer as a developer if I had the time to do more than test stuff and all that. Maybe when I retire from my day job. :)

2. I don't have any visibility into what exactly is going on in the developer portion of the Gentoo community. But I can emphatically state that it *doesn't* seem to be showing up as a reduction in quality of what's coming onto my systems when I emerge a package! I don't run anything else, like Ubuntu, Fedora, openSuSE or Debian, so I can't compare Gentoo with the others.

3. I *have* read the dire comments on Distrowatch, but not much of the auxiliary blogging. I don't visit the IRC channels and I don't in general inhabit the forums. I am on quite a few of the mailing lists and, given that I run ~x86, a frequent visitor to Bugzilla. If the dire predictions are true -- if Gentoo dies -- most likely I will switch to rPath/Conary and build my own distro, rather than leaping on the Fedora, openSuSE, or Ubuntu/Debian bandwagon.

On to the code of conduct. My belief is that it's entirely too weak! I'd prefer a strict "no asshole" code. Screw up once -- get a stern reprimand and a 30-day suspension of all privileges. Screw up twice and it's bye-bye forever! I think there are something like hundreds of thousands of talented open source developers out there, ranging in age from maybe 13 to mid-70s or maybe even higher. There are many more of "us" than there are positions on *all* of the major community open source projects -- Linux itself, GNU, Apache, Gentoo, Debian, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc. Gentoo can afford to be choosy. I personally think Gentoo can't afford *not* to be choosy, given that it has little (if any) corporate support.

Finally, let me add that I've never personally experienced what I would consider unacceptable treatment from a Gentoo community member, developer, user, interested bystander, etc. Perhaps if I had, it would change my views. But, as the saying goes, "where there's smoke, there's fire," and I'd prefer not to inhale the smoke. :)

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits
fire.