On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:29:38 -0500
Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And something good is coming from it too.  They are setting up rules
> so that this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

I believe the move towards creating the CoC was in the pipeline before
these outside events took place; it was a response to the surge on
gentoo-dev itself, and as such an internally instigated matter.

The pressure to get the draft approved in the ridiculously short period
of three days in the middle of a week does look like it was affected by
the bad PR in junk outlets like DW.  If that is the case, then it is
most definitely a bad thing.

>  The mess in the last
> couple weeks was not the first either.  It will happen again if
> nothing is done.

That's the exact opposite of my reading.  The so-called mess in the
last couple of weeks is nothing so unusual - happens every few months
or so, and IMO it's more about steam venting than the specific
issues at hand at the time.  Responding to the sort of pathetic
blogging seen on Distrowatch is a bad thing, its sends the signal that
rantings on the blog-o-sphere are due some respect, which the article
of the 13th certainly does not.

--
Kevin F. Quinn