On 3/30/07, Mike Frysinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
a good topic for the next council meeting i think would be to start up a spec
of requirements that a package manager must satisfy before it'd be an
official package manager for Gentoo ... off the top of my head:
 - the main developers need to be Gentoo developers
 - source code hosted on Gentoo infrastructure
 - compatible "emerge" and "ebuild" binaries
-mike

The Comments of a Gentoo User Upon a Minor Point Made by Vapier

The first condition you list is a sort of nativism that I for one
would expect not to find in a successful copyleft project created on
the Internet. Why should the code Gentoo uses be written by Gentoo
developers? Nobody seems to have a problem with using someone else's C
compiler and installation tools (gcc, autoconf, automake). Resistance
to a package manager on the grounds that, "It wasn't originally
written by us!" could perhaps push technical arguments that actually
matter  into the background.

Sincerely,
Christopher Covington