On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 23:50 +0200, RĂ©mi Cardona wrote:
> Open Question part:
>
> Since I don't have any thing other than Gentoo : does anyone know how
> other distros handle static libs in their -dev packages?

Fedora's policy [1] is to only include static libraries when absolutely
necessary, such as with libpci or other libraries that ship *only*
static incarnations (though in these cases the packager is heavily
encouraged to pester the upstream developer(s) about building a shared
library as well); or for specific exceptions where full and satisfactory
reason is given for the inclusion of static libraries (such as, perhaps,
low-level rescue utilities like grub and others, though they generally
then need to explicitly be in a foo-static subpackage when built). All
such cases need to be approved by the Fedora Engineering Steering
Committee (FESCo).

> Does anyone care about static libs except for maybe really really low
> level stuff?
They are useful for rescue operations and whatnot, when a LiveCD or
similar is not handy; or perhaps when the computer cannot boot from an
alternative medium. That's the only major benefit I see of them.

> My Opinion part:
>
> I'd definitely would like to see them leave my system for good as I have
> no use for 99% of them whatsoever.
++

> Open Question part:
>
> Could some FEATURE disable static libs building by default in desktop
> profiles, with some (like the 5 packages Roman pointed out) using
> something like a RESTRICT?

Back when I used Gentoo (mid-2003 through Nov. 2005), I remember there
being a "-static" flag that could be set. I don't remember if that was
in FEATURES or USE though; and not all ebuilds honored it. :| Is there
similar functionality in modern Portage?

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#StaticLibraries
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) / FSF & EFF Member
Gentoo Forums Global Moderator