On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 22:31 +0200, Bryan Østergaard wrote:

> Consider this my last post ever to gentoo-dev ML if this really goes
> through. Degrading non-dev contributers like myself to second-class
> citizens is definitely not going to make me want to contribute
> anything more.

I think the idea is being taken the wrong way. Why would you think you
were second class?

I take it as internal stuff on -core. Gentoo developers working with
each other on -dev. Everyone who wants to work on the Gentoo Project,
devs and all can do it in -project. I don't see anything wrong with
levels of separation like that. Other than it being different.

It's not like all development takes place on the -dev ml. Nor will -dev
be private, so the public can still follow. If they need to interact.
There is still IRC, Bugzilla, -project, etc.

We don't let just anyone have a voice on #gentoo-dev or etc. What would
make the -dev ml any different? Which just like on IRC, voices could
still be granted to some past devs. If that goes against policy, then
that's just a downfall of no longer being a dev. But it might still be
possible to have former devs subscribed and able to post to -dev.

Either way very few in any position are allowed to retain all power,
privileges and etc after leaving the position. What ever it is. That's
not a elitist thing. That's just how things are. Doesn't make one better
than another, one first class or another second class.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java