Vlastimil Babka wrote:

Andrew Gaffney wrote:
Donnie Berkholz wrote:
Matthias Langer wrote:
no offense, but this is one of the worst proposals i've ever read on
this list; why? because, one of gentoo's major problems is that it is
becoming more and more a toy exclusively for its own developers.
Gentoo's always been exclusively for the developers. Nobody's paying us
to do this. It just so happens that the things we want to do also
benefit other people, and so they use them.
That was my thought as well. We (the developers) owe nothing to the
community at large. We are volunteers, and if we want to treat Gentoo as
our own personal toy (which we currently aren't), then so be it.

Are you people serious? Let's ban nondevs from bugzilla then? Close
#gentoo, disband PR, etc? Not sure if we can keep any sponsors then...

You misunderstand. I'm not saying that all non-devs can get bent and their opinions be damned. I'm just saying that at the core, Gentoo is still the same as it was "back in the day". Gentoo isn't a commercial distribution, and nobody pays us, so we can do anything we want, whether the user community at large likes it or not. We ultimately answer only to ourselves.

--
Andrew Gaffney                                 http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer             Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator