Duncan wrote:
> If the user sees it, it means the maintainer failed to do his job.  The
> tarball couldn't have even been changed upstream without notice, since
> it'd then fail the sanity/security/signing checks.  I think that's the
> suggestion, that it be mandatory for maintainers to deal with, and the
> user shouldn't ever see it.

You seems to forget the fact that Gentoo is a source distro and as such,
emerge foo can fail on users boxes while on maintainer's box works like
a charm.

As a maintainer, you cannot possibly test all the USE/installed
libs/CFLAGS combinations. I don't say maintainer shouldn't fix whatever
problems has his package, but don't be in such a hurry to blame someone
when you happen to find a bug.