On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 17:45 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> the compromise is simple: catalyst runs --config at the end of stage3 for
> appropriate packages, but as to what those things actually do is left in the
> ebuilds.

I've already stated my preference for not doing *anything* outside of
merging packages in the stages.  Were this >stage3, I wouldn't care.
Anyway, I'd much rather leave everything as it is now than add the
emerge --config stuff.  You're free to add it to the ebuilds, of course,
which would satisfy the people that want it, but I would prefer not add
it to the stages, even if it is documented in the Handbook, as it isn't
required.  Basically, I'd rather we either throw it into the earlier
stages, or not do it at all.  You've given good reason on why, while
technically feasible since we're only caring about bash at this time, it
is still a bad idea as it opens us up to yet another slippery slope.  I
completely see your point, which is why I'm taking the stance that
things are best left as they are now.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead