On Nov 26, 2007 4:46 AM, Markus Ullmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi fellows,
>
> when taking a look at the open bug count for bugs assigned to
> maintainer-wanted (2450 at the time of writing), it seems pretty obvious
> that we really can't handle all of them, at least not without growing at
> least two dozen devs to maintain it properly.
>
> As I highly doubt this will happen within a week, we have to make a
> decision how to proceed with this stuff. So what options do we have?
> These come to mind:
>
> a) WONTFIX them within 4 or 8 weeks without picking them up
> b) reassign them to herds (some herds are on CC) and have them
>   respond withing 4-8 weeks and give a yey or boo.
> c) let interested users move it to sunrise (some of them are there)
>   so that the ebuilds are at least at our QA level we maintain for
>   gentoo-x86 and are there to be picked up by devs if they're
>   interested
>
> If you have more options or comments, I'd like to hear about them, as we
> definitely have to do something there.
> F'up is set to gentoo-project as this is more a political thing.
>
> Greetz
> -Jokey
>

> Hi everyone,

I did the "Collective Maintenance" project this summer:
http://code.google.com/soc/2007/gentoo/appinfo.html?csaid=2881CA66D3587EA2

My vision was to move things in to a direction where the "maintainer-wanted"
packages would be collectively maintained without the need for a specific
herd or maintainer. To get to this vision, I set out to create a web
interface that would allow work to be coordinated in an organized,
efficient, and by-demand manner. Here is where I am currently at with that
interface: http://afalko.homelinux.net/tskdemo/

I think the current state of the interface is not going to allow for enough
organization. My fear is that it will turn into an unnavigable
dumping-ground when a lot of tasks/"maintainer-wanted" bugs are added to the
list. I am one year from earning at B.S. degree in Industrial Engineering
and my requirement this school year is to complete an IE design project. I
was able to get a group of four together to work on redesigning the
interface. My group members have been generating some excellent ideas so
far. I am optimistic that the end product will allow my vision to be
achieved. I will push to get the interface ready before the end of May 2008.

So in sum, I guess you can add a fourth option to the list: wait until the
end of May 2008 for the completion/deployment of an interface for
collectively maintaining packages. Or even a fifth option: use the current
interface right now and upgrade in May 2008 to a re-designed revision.

Best regards,
Andrey Falko