On Dec 10, 2007 12:48 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Feature as opposed to release branches would still have to be separate
> packages, especially if you need to depend upon a particular feature.

I don't understand how having to depend on a particular feature causes
one to need a separate package. Infact, if a branch has a new feature
that I want to test against a lot of packages, having a separate
package means I have to either || ( sys-apps/package
sys-apps/package-branch ) for all packages that I want to test it
against, or make a virtual package sys-apps/package-9999 which just
depends on sys-apps/package-branch. The former is too much work
sometimes, and the latter just brings us full circle.

Why not just have something like
sys-devel/gcc-4.2.3_p20071127-scm_b${BRANCHNAME}-r1 ?
It should be easy to parse since it'll always be after "scm" and will
be the last portion of the version string before "-rN".
In case ${BRANCHNAME} itself ends in "-rN" (highly unlikely), the
entire version string could be made to end with "-r0" to signify that
it's revision 0 and not revision N.

Also, releases are often tagged rather than being branched out, which
would have to be kept in mind as well.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan