Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:14:24 +0100
> Carsten Lohrke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I disagree here. It would be annoying and possibly even hindering in
>> future not being able to use higher EAPI features in eclasses. Point
>> is the eclass has to check, if the author of an ebuild sets another
>> EAPI and throw an error, in this case.
>
> There is no way for an eclass to throw an error. Nor, with the current
> way Portage implements EAPI, is there a way to add such a way.

How bout declaring all supported (possibly with later conditional checks
on EAPI variable etc) EAPIs in eclass via some variable, and repoman
checking that EAPI set in the ebuild is compatible with all inherited
eclasses? And if you need newer EAPI in the ebuild, get eclasses updated
first (even if its just updating the compatibility declaration).
Also, repoman could check that EAPI is not being set in the eclass.

VB