Just picked this particular email to reply with my thoughts on this
thread.

On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 10:52 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
> But they come under the scope of this discussion, since this is about the
> long-term future of *every* EAPI. So let's discuss them

Impossible. History has proven again and again that you cannot predict
every aspect of the future. But then I'm sure you know this ;)

File name suffixes historically describe the content structure of a
file.

.png means the content is a picture and it's structure is Portable
Network Graphic.

.ebuild means the content is instructions on how to install something
and it's structure is bash.

So to obtain EAPI from .ebuild you would always do
EAPI=`. /path/to/ebuild.ebuild; echo "${EAPI}"`

Now say you wanted to move ebuilds into xml you would do
EAPI=`xmlcmd_to_extract_node_value /root/eapi /path/to/ebuild.xml"

In closing, EAPI describes features available, not content nor
structure.

Thanks

Roy