Mark Loeser wrote:

Should an elog statement been put into the ebuild...maybe.
I leave that up to the maintainer to decide what is important enough to
be logged, and they clearly thought this wasn't in this case.

I think that this would probably warrant an elog. Sure, anybody who knows the "correct" way to admin unix doesn't put anything important in /tmp - but educating our users before blowing away their data isn't a bad thing. We shouldn't assume our users are idiots, but this is an obscure enough piece of admin knowledge that I think that users will be impacted by the change.

Doesn't impact me one way or another - in my case both /tmp and /var/tmp are tmpfs filesystems. However, I do have a few longer-duration "temp" folders on my system that get cleaned by tmpreaper but is used for stuff that is nice to keep around a little longer.