Roy Marples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wednesday 23 April 2008 21:46:18 Robin H. Johnson wrote:

>> See my attached example from work, we use a lot of the various options
>> on stuff.
>
> No, we won't support that. However, we will bring back ip ranges for the last
> ocet like so
> 1.2.3.4-10/24

It looks to me as though you are intending to remove the capability to
set up complex network environments. Granted most people only have
simple configurations (with single IP address and just a default route),
but some of us have more complex networking environments with multiple
addresses, routes and rules on multiple interfaces. Currently Gentoo
baselayout-1 makes it relatively straightforward to set up these
configurations, and the current baselayout-2 is almost as simple[1]. I
think it would be a bad idea to remove any of the network configuration
functionality currently offered by baselayout-1.

[1] But in my opinion, the baselayout-1 /etc/net.conf syntax is better than that
in baselayout-2. Though I have not yet migrated any of the systems with
complex networking to baselayout-2.