On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:20:04AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:56:23 -0700
> Brian Harring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > * easy to shoehorn in for any profile.bashrc compliant manager
> > (portage/pkgcore); realize paludis is left out here (via it
> > intentionally being left out of PMS atm by ciaran), but
> > profile.bashrc *is* used by ebuild devs, thus it's a viable course (I
> > don't see profile.bashrc ever going away basically).
>
> If profile.bashrc is to be kept, it means massively reducing what can
> be done in there.

Restraint in use of profile.bashrc is a per community QA measure, not
a format restriction- think through the other "this is better for QA"
things I've suggested PMS wise, you've responded in the same manner.

> > * doesn't address versioning changes.
>
> Or indeed any change where the ebuild can't be visible to older package
> managers without breaking them.
>
> So basically it's not a solution at all.

Name a scenario.

Note, if the scenario is "pm doesn't support eapi function, and
doesn't support profile.bashrc", skip it, you're repeating what I
already laid out (which results in visible bash complaints, but the
manager still labeling the eapi inoperable).
~harring