Alec Warner wrote:
On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Joe Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Donnie Berkholz wrote:
I actually object to having crap in dev-python, because things should be
categorized functionally instead of by the language they're implemented
in. 90% of the time you don't care about the language. But category
moves are pretty much pointless, so I don't normally bring it up.
Do you mean it is pointless because categories are pointless, or because
it is not worth the trouble of doing the move?  I assume we inherited
the category idea from fbsd ports.

It is pointless because we should probably have tags; not categories.
It is akin to the Section[1] header in a debian control file.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-subsections

Tags instead of categories . . . Now here's a very interesting idea, indeed. Has there ever been a proposal like this for Gentoo?

I think we could improve on the Debian way of doing (sub)sections And I think that a good system of tags would do better than most distros which have a fairly limited set of arbitrary categories (like desktop, system, utils; who knows what the heck those last two mean, anyway?) But blog-style multiple tags might be very, very nice, if we could agree on a set of tags to use, without trapping ourselves into some of the weirder categorization used by other distros, like Slackware's arcane alphabetic system.

Tags . . . I like the idea. I like it a lot. Thoughts? Exciting? Or is it an old issue, and I'm 5 years late to the party. :)