Tiziano Müller wrote:
Donnie Berkholz wrote:

Hi all,

Here is the summary from Thursday's council meeting. The complete log
will show up at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/ shortly.

wrt GLEP 56:

i) I don't see a specification when use.local.desc is finally going to be
dropped
ii) Why not switch to XML for use.desc as well? (just to be consequent)
We could then use XInclude in a package's metadata.xml to include a global
use.desc.xml in <use>...</use>
(The requirements could then be changed to: the USE flags description has to
be written in the packages metadata.xml)

Incremental steps are better then one huge sweeping change. It'll allow us to evaluate the needs and goals of the project as we move forward. The big concern with dropping use.desc is that multiple USE flags that do the same thing will start to pop up across the whole tree because developers won't know that a USE flag already exists for feature X.