Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

How much of that is memory bound? Of the things that aren't, how many
aren't written in assembly anyway? Of those things, what proportion of
the runtime is spent in those areas?

If you double the speed of something that takes up 2% of the overall
execution time, you can't measure the improvement.

Or looking at it the other way -- is there any reason to believe that
using icc (which can end up being a substantial pain in the arse, given
the way it tries to use gcc's c++ headers but doesn't support some of
the extensions or quirks that g++ does) will provide a genuine gain
for people who aren't already doing clever profile-directed trickery
anyway?

The problem with -O3 is that function inlining can lead to a
substantial cache hit. Unless you're using profile-directed
optimisations, which Gentoo doesn't support, it's extremely hit and
miss as to whether O3 helps or hurts.

I agree with all of the above. Gentoo is about choice, so if people want to make ICC work well more power to them. I agree that it would be hard to make it THE ONLY system compiler. For those who do try it I'd be really interested in their findings.