Richard Freeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted [EMAIL PROTECTED],
excerpted below, on  Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:34:53 -0400:

> Personally, I use -Os across the board when it doesn't break.  As you
> said I tend to be memory/IO bound, and optimizing for size helps with
> both (swapping causes IO).  I'd probably benefit from using -O3 on the
> aforementioned CPU-intensive apps.

I did before gcc-4.3, but with 4.3, several of the other flags (-freorder-
blocks-and-partition, for instance, which increases cache hit rates but
also increases size) I was using folded into -O2 but not -Os, and I
decided -O2 was a better choice as a result.

Has anyone done a study of -Os vs -O2 with gcc-4.3.x, similar to the ICC/
gcc-4.x study linked upthread?  On x86_64 would be an extra bonus,
particularly if it were on AMD, or if both Intel and AMD were studied, as
would the effect of such flags as -freorder-blocks-and-partition, as
mentioned above.  I'd love to see links, if so!