On Dienstag, 9. September 2008, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> ~ * The meaning of the !atom blocker syntax now implies that
> ~   temporary simultaneous installation of conflicting packages is
> ~   allowed [3].
>
> ~ * A new !!atom blocker syntax is now supported, for use in special
> ~   cases in which temporary simultaneous installation of conflicting
> ~   packages should not be allowed.

I didn't really look into the issues, intended to be resolved with this, but
I'm somewhat suspecious that this is merely a hack around inaccurate
dependency listing in ebuilds on the one side and Portage's dependency
resolver issues on the other.

What I do strongly oppose is changing the meaning of the '!' symbol, as
blockers, which should remain real blockers will not be adjusted by us, when
changing an ebuild to EAPI 2++ in every case, since we're humans after all.
So, if you implement this, keep '!' as is and find another symbol for
these "soft" blockers.

> ~ * A new src_prepare phase function is called after src_unpack.
>
> ~ * The old src_compile phase function is split into separate
> ~   src_configure and src_compile fuctions.

All I do see is more complexity, but no real benefit.

Carsten