On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 00:05:52 +0100
Peter Alfredsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just thought it sounded like a tall order, saying that fixing
> libtool .la files would take some weekends to do, when this problem
> has existed for so long, yet noone has been able to fix it in a way
> that causes less pain than removal of all .la files does.

Sometimes, doing nothing is better than doing something.

> Anyway, we really need to start punting .la files one way or the
> other. For desktop users of our distro, they do a lot more harm than
> good. For embedded, perhaps static linking serves some purpose, but
> really, if you can't afford dynamic linking, what are you going to
> run on your board?

No, for desktop users they're occasionally a minor inconvenience,
which is more than offset by the large inconvenience of their removal.

Unfortunately, enough fuss has been made about this that too many
people will look bad if it's decided to do nothing, so things have
reached the "find the least bad something to do" stage...

--
Ciaran McCreesh