On Sunday 18 of January 2009 16:21:57 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> And yes, I'd really like to see this killed for EAPI 3. Ideally we'd go
> with a single DEPENDENCIES variable with labels of some kind,
> something like:
>
>     DEPENDENCIES="
>         build:
>             foo/bar
>         build+run:
>             foo/baz
>         post:
>             foo/plugin"
>
> which would make it much easier to start specifying dependencies for
> use of ROOT properly in the future -- it'd just be new labels, not
> zillions of new variables.

What's the benefit of changing syntax so dramatically? (apart from the sake of
changing it to someone's liking) and what's so wrong with zillion of separate
dependency variables? Are they too easy to read, implement and understand?
As everyone knows, to avoid copy&paste one can easily use such scheme:

COMMONDEPEND="
     somedep
     someotherdep
     someuse? ( conddep )
"
DEPEND="${COMMONDEPEND}
     somebuilddeponly
"
RDEPEND="${COMMONDEPEND}
     someruntimedeponly
"

Similar simple bash play can be used for other purposes as well.

--
regards
MM