* "Robin H. Johnson" <robb...@gentoo.org>:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 03:08:52PM +0100, Torsten Veller wrote:
> > Please review the attached perl-module.eclass.
> > Patch linked below.
> Are you going to include the changes from Bug 254980 so that s390 can
> build their stages properly?
>
> Specifically, going to EAPI2 and adding DEPEND="dev-lang/perl[!build]"
> to the eclass.

Currently the eclass doesn't set any dependencies.
If it is used the ebuild has to depend on perl if needed.

I see the following options:

1) Don't add DEPEND to the eclass.
   So if a package is used for stage-building we have to raise EAPI and
   depend on dev-lang/perl[-build] in the ebuild.

   The part I don't understand in the bug above is:
   Does adding dev-lang/perl[-build] automagically reinstall
   perl during stage-building
   (here portage stops and complains).

2) Add DEPEND conditionally to the eclass.
   To give ebuilds the chance to inherit perl-module.eclass
   (and currently also perl-app.eclass) and support perl conditionally,
   we have to add another global variable to check it.

   (Checking CATEGORY and perl? probably could be added additonally)

3) Add DEPEND.
   Always depend on dev-lang/perl and
   if EAPI=2 then depend on dev-lang/perl[-build]

Comments?