On 23:23 Wed 25 Mar     , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:06:37 +0100
> Donnie Berkholz <dberkh...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > > 10) dohard and dosed banned in EAPI 3
> >
> > I think I missed the reasoning for removing these, particularly
> > dosed. pybugz didn't see any open bugs.
>
> Portage doesn't merge hardlinks correctly, so dohard is bad. And
> dosed's been considered deprecated for years.

I like dosed because I've used it many times for the $D-removing
feature. If there was (is?) an automatic filter at install-time that
scanned files to remove $D references, that would work for me instead.

> > > 11) doinclude, newinclude for EAPI 3
> >
> > Is installing to /usr/include by default useful for most packages
> > that want to use this? Or would they /usr/include/${PN}? If you have
> > to change it often, aren't you just as well off using insinto/doins?
> > Should there be an "includeinto"?
>
> I'd be inclined to agree on that one, but people seem to be after more
> of these do* things.

I'm still not convinced this one adds anything significant beyond doins
by default that it's worth adding. In half the cases
(/usr/include/$PN/foo.h or anywhere else vs /usr/include/foo.h), you'd
need to customize its install directory and so effectively are just
running insinto/doins. Plus it's only useful for ebuilds that have a
crappy install anyway, so wouldn't we rather fix the build system?

> > > 21) REPLACING_VERSIONS and REPLACED_BY_VERSION in EAPI 3
> >
> > I'm curious why it isn't global. Seems like it would make sense to
> > put it near dependencies. Also I could be wrong, but wouldn't you
> > want to be able to cache this and show smart pretend output, etc?
>
> I think you're misunderstanding what this is for. It's to allow
> packages to work out whether they're upgrading / downgrading /
> reinstalling / whatever, since Zac broke the devmanual-documented and
> PMS-required way of doing it using has_version and refuses to revert it.

Ah, I see. This is the first I'd heard about this anywhere (the problem
or the proposal). So running has_version in setup/preinst and again in
postinst doesn't do what you'd want anymore?

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz