On Thursday 09 April 2009 16:37:55 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 04:12:02 +0300
>
> Mart Raudsepp <l...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > It is quite irresponsible to enable that by default for the FULL user
> > base, given the state of the tree in regards to it
>
> Which is why we are not talking about enabling it for the tree. We are
> talking about enabling it for a subset of the tree that's guaranteed to
> have been tested by it.

So you propose to make a new EAPI that about 2.5% of the tree can use?

> > and the (very) considerable extra time it takes to run them while
> > it's already slower in relation to binary distributions.
>
> PROPERTIES="slow-tests" then.
>
> We've been over all of this several times previously.

And it is still the same stupid idea. We have FEATURES="test" for those who
care, and if you look at the amount of bugs that causes already I see no sane
way to make it default.
Why would you enable it by default just to disable it by default in those
packages where it is the most important?

Tell you what. Provide patches for all open test failure bugs and provide a
list of all packages where tests are slow (for certain values of slow we'd
have to agree on) and you can resume pushing your toy ideas.

Have fun,

Patrick