On Wednesday 06 May 2009, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
> I've been toying with the idea of offering something akin to
> Debians popularity contest tool. Some people are rather
> uncomfortable with data gathering tools that send stuff to some
> strangers, so I don't know how well it would work. I list this
> idea here, since I have just about no idea what actual alpha
> hardware is used with Gentoo out there. Knowing which packages
> are actually *used* (instead of just being stabilized for the
> heck of it) would be nice. Added benefit of that would be that
> users helping with testing would reduce workload.

Hi Tobias,

a late Happy Birthday from my side first.

Note that we have a Summer of Code student this year who is working on a
project to gather both hardware and software statistics from Gentoo
users. If you have any special requirements for your platform, I am
sure he has open ears. No need to invent two wheels at the same time.

I'm putting Sebastian in CC directly, if you are looking for the project
mentor, that is me.

Robert