Jeremy Olexa <darks...@gentoo.org> posted 4a0b783c.2000...@gentoo.org,
excerpted below, on  Wed, 13 May 2009 20:47:40 -0500:

> I don't see any reason to create a team that duplicates the sunrise
> work. Keep in mind, I am against pretty much any overlay, I think work
> should be kept in the main tree. But, for ebuild maintenance with
> limited developer time, sunrise just makes sense(tm).

This was my first reaction as well.  How is this different than sunrise?
If it's not duplicative, map out the difference and the proposed
relationship of apparently duplicative projects.

Maybe you just want Sunrise in the main tree instead of as a dedicated,
supervised overlay.  There were people with VERY strong feelings against
Sunrise, to the point I believe at least one dev opposing it resigned
over it and other boosting it were disciplined.  Are you ready to take on
that sort of opposition to get it in-tree?  Maybe it's time to have that
debate.

> Some other possible directions include: 1) maintainer-needed team -
> Where a group maintains the set of 761 m-needed packages.

Right.  The new proposal needs to address this as well.  Why ignore the
existing m-needed packages begging for care in the tree, just to
effectively shove a bunch more in.

> 2) proxy maint project[2] - Where a group helps users commit to the main
> tree, very similar to the sunrise project. Very similar to this proposal
> but better conserves our developer time.

Yet another existing solution this proposal would seem to duplicate.  If
it's different, map out how and how the relationship in the apparent
overlap should be managed.

If there's a place for the new project and maybe there is, the
differences from and relationship with the Sunrise and proxy-maint
projects, and the method of bringing in or justification for ignoring the
hundreds of existing m-needed packages while arguably creating more,
needs mapped out.  Alternatively, bend the proposal into a status change
for one or all of the above, and call a debate on that.