On Sunday 17 May 2009 09:40:14 Tiziano Müller wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 17.05.2009, 01:50 +0100 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh:
> > On Sun, 17 May 2009 00:35:45 +0000 (UTC)
> >
> > Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> > > As for ciaranm's argument that you're restricting changes to the
> > > version string, say allowing -rc where _rc is now required, one-time
> > > restriction of a year or two, yes.  However, if the spec is crafted
> > > such that the EAPI must be checked FIRST
> >
> > ...then the package manager has to inspect the metadata for every
> > version of a package before it can do anything, rather than just
> > starting at the best version and working downwards until it finds
> > something usable, which is a pretty hefty price to pay.
>
> ... if the cache can be parsed at all. With GLEP-55 we might even choose
> to change the cache format.

We might actually decide to change the cache format with or without GLEP55.
It's trivial to think of a situation where the cache location is changed so
that older package managers don't see it at all, thus falling back to the slow
but reliable sourcing strategy, whereas newer versions are aware of that
format and will be able to use it.

Please stop mixing issues, it makes it hard to discuss things.