On Sun, 17 May 2009 18:58:58 +0200
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <arfrever....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > No good, for two reasons.
> >
> > First, this is a global scope change
>
> Why do you think that it is a global scope change?

Package managers still need to be able to get the EAPI, even if they
don't support newer EAPIs, which means you're restricted to using syntax
that bash-3 can parse. Although you can sneak some bash-4 features
through bash-3's parser, it gets extremely confusing.

> > and we can't make global scope
> > changes to EAPIs using current mechanisms. EAPIs have to carry on
> > using bash 3 until the EAPI mechanism is changed.
>
> IMHO ebuilds are allowed to set DEPEND=">=app-shells/bash-4.0" and use
> bash-4.0 features anyway, but it would be easier to just set
> appropriate EAPI in ebuilds.

Er, no. An ebuild's deps aren't met when the package manager generates
metadata from the ebuild.

> > Second, by order of the Council, EAPI 3's feature list was locked
> > several weeks ago. If we ignore that for one thing, it just means
> > everyone else who had features that came along too late will start
> > demanding we reconsider those too...
>
> IMHO addition of this feature would be acceptable.

You could say that about any feature, but the Council chose to just go
with an absolute cutoff.

--
Ciaran McCreesh