Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2009 23:17:57 +0200
> Ben de Groot <yng...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> 1. "Incompatible change of inherit (e.g. make it look in the package
>> dir too)"
>> A case would need to be made, in my opinion, as to why we would wish
>> to allow this in the first place. The current inherit behavior with
>> eclasses in a central place works well enough. So I think we can
>> disregard this.
>
> There are already horrible hacks in the tree to get per-package
> 'eclasses'. That's a clear sign there's something lacking.

I haven't come across any horrible hacks, that I'm aware of, but of
course my interest is only in certain parts of the tree.

>> 2. "Add new global scope functions in any sane way"
>> This is a valid use case, as seen by the eapi-2 update. But the way
>> this is currently handled by portage (advising to upgrade the package
>> manager) works. So I don't see a need to change the file extension for
>> this reason.
>
> It means we can't start using those new global scope functions until
> we're sure that everyone's going to be upgraded, because users get
> extremely upset if they start seeing that kind of message.

Isn't that a given anyway? I think the way eapi-2 was introduced into
the tree wasn't particularly problematic.

>> 3. "Extend versioning rules in an EAPI - for example, addition of the
>> scm suffix - GLEP54 [1] or allowing more sensible version formats like
>> 1-rc1, 1-alpha etc. to match upstream more closely."
>> Apart from GLEP54, I believe our versioning scheme works reasonably
>> well. I don't see any need to match upstream more closely. I'd rather
>> like to keep the more uniform way of handling suffixes like rc and
>> alpha, that we have now.
>
> Please explain why 1.2_rc3 is legal but 1.2-rc3 is not.

Because we say so. We have chosen to do it a certain way. This works.
It's uniform, it's simple, and therefor has a certain beauty to it. I
see no pressing reason why we should start allowing alternative forms.

--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)